Tuesday, September 9, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: D. Thrush

image



1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

I think most writers become writers because they love to read. I remember being enthralled by stories as a child when I was being read a book. One day I realized that I could write my own. I’ve been writing ever since I learned how to write.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

I read everything when I was younger. My books were my prized possessions. I wanted to read classics and I read all of Louisa May Alcott’s books and the Oz books and the Nancy Drew series. I also read comic books. Later I became interested in biographies, fascinated with the choices people make in their lives. I especially like books that make you think or take you on a profound journey.

3. What was the inspiration behind your novel Guardian of the Light?

GOTL came out of conversations with other people. I talked to several friends who confided strange experiences to me. I’d had my own vivid dreams and “visions” and I wanted to put these experiences into some sort of context. I’ve also had struggles in life and wanted to explore what would happen if someone felt overwhelmed with the harshness of life. So I put these ideas together to portray a woman who feels lost, as I think many people do at times but I didn’t want anybody to rescue her. I wanted her to have to rescue herself. I think it speaks to the vulnerability in all of us and the strength we’re not sure we have.

4. What do you want readers to take from the story?

I hope to inspire people who feel lost and alone and for them to know we all experience this at times and that we all have the power to make choices. Also, I think it’s essential to recognize the importance of balance and living in harmony. The story is a journey about these things.

5. Were any of the characters/emotions based on real life people/situations?

The man in darkness was based on a vivid dream I had that felt very real as if I were glimpsing another dimension. It really intrigued me. I have felt very lost and lonely at times in my life and I’ve experienced many of the feelings in the book although there was no “Jack” that left me in that way. The children in the book were named after my cats who have passed on that I wanted to honor. 

6. Will we ever see Holly again?

I do have an idea for a sequel because I love all the characters in my books and I imagine what happens to them after the stories end. I always thought if readers seemed interested enough that I’d continue Holly’s story. It’d be more based in the “real” world but she’d continue to discover more about herself.

7. What other genres would you like to try your hand at?

I’ve already written 2 more books that are very different than GOTL. They’re both romantic comedies. This came about because my 80 year old mother told me to write a story about Santa’s daughter so I did. I had so much fun that I wrote another book which is a humorous fairy tale. I like to test myself with writing so who knows what I’ll try next.

8. What was your original goal while writing GOTL?

I wanted to take readers on an inspiring profound journey. I crammed so many ideas into the story but I seemed to have so much to say that I just let it flow out.

9. What would you do if you were faced with Holly's decisions?

Holly was braver than I’d be in her journeys. She was reluctant but she didn’t have much choice but to go on as is the case for all of us who face tough times. I’d hope to find my own strength and discover peace within myself. It’s always an ongoing journey.

10. Would you like to see Guardian of the Light in theaters or on TV? If so, what actors would you like to see play your characters?

I’d love to see GOTL as a film. I’m very visual and I’d love to see this book brought to life in this way. I don’t really have any actors in mind but it’s fun to imagine.

11. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I hope to keep writing and publishing more books and eventually become successful enough to devote myself to writing full time.

12. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

I have a job as most independent writers do to support their writing habits. I like doing anything creative.

13. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next?

I just published my third book Fairy Tale Karma and am currently trying to decide what to work on next. I have about 6 ideas shouting for attention.

14. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with?

I’ve always thought it’d be fun to collaborate with someone but the reality is that you’d have to agree and have the same vision. Good question.

15. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

It took me 4 years to write my first book Guardian of the Light and 3 months to write my second book The Daughter Claus.
I was an extra in the movie Prefontaine. (You can’t see me at all in the crowd scene.)
I have cousins on both sides of my family that are writers. (Maybe not so surprising.)

Find D. Thrush online via:

Facebook

Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment