Saturday, November 8, 2014

BOOK REVIEW/AUTHOR INTERVIEW: "My Little Book of Randoms" ny Joanne Marlowe

IREVIEW:

Sometimes, when you're down, you will have the desire to read a 50 chapter self-help novel that, in the end, well offer no real help at all.
Other times, you'll sit down and write a quick little book that has a strong sense of what you're going through abd well ease your own mind. That's what Joanne Marlowe did with My Little Book of Randoms.

Containing a little art and a lot of heart, Ms. Marlowe wrote down what was on her mind during a personal time of hardship. It just so happened to be poetry.
If you're going through a difficult time in your life, pick up My Little Book of Randoms and take a few minutes to read through it.
I just did. I have had a very difficult time as of late and reading this made me feel that she knew how I was feeling just an hour ago!
Great little thing to always have nearby fit those moments you want to take a breath and remember: someone else gets it. Even when it seems no one in your personal life does, Joanne Marlowe does!

5/5--loved it!

INTERVIEW:

1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

I always wanted to write.  When I was a little girl, I had journals and diaries but every time I wrote something, I immediately thought it was stupid and would throw it away.  As I got older, I wanted to write movies.  I always would create things in my head (movies) but never had the confidence in myself to write anything and keep it until last year.  I thought, it's now or never because I am not getting any younger and what am I doing with myself?

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

I am not an avid reader at all.  I really only enjoy reading books while on vacation and on a beach when I am relaxed and can read a book in one shot.  I have a small attention span and I am not someone who can read a few pages/ chapters a night.  I will end up reading the same pages over and over again if I did that. Plus, it's a time thing...I don't have much time to sit down and read. I do really like Nick Hornby novels and I like reading books after they become a movie.  Let's face it, books are almost always better than the movie....however there is the odd one that makes a better movie. 

3. Can you tell readers what inspired you to write My Little Book of Randoms?

The first social media I joined was Hitrecord.org which is Joseph Gordon-Levitt's website for artist contributions.  On the site, there were artist collaborations that turned into 3 published books called "Tiny Stories."  These were usually one or two liners and I found myself really enjoying reading them and than writing them.  I didn't get published through the site but that's because I didn't contribute to the collaborations!  I didn't remain on the site for long but met some really great people and artists.  I ventured on my own and compiled a small collection and put together "My Little Book of Randoms," just to see if I could do it.  And I did.  I learned so much a long the way and I loved the process and even more so that I did it all myself.

4. Will you write another book of poetry?

Absolutely!  I am already working on a second one entitled "This One Hurt."  I am venturing out a bit more with this book.  Longer poems, not so many quotes, short stories and maybe some more artwork....we'll see how it goes.  Maybe a collaboration with someone to do some artwork to go along with some of my stories...but I want to finish putting it together first, the written part.  I already have an idea for the cover art, something I have pictured in my head.  I want to take my time with it as I want to get my first book out there and generate some sort of buzz.

5. You mentioned that you don't look like you'd listen to Maroon 5. What kind of music do you usually enjoy? 

I listen to various music.  I love The Cure and The National and everything 80's, hair metal (Motley Crue), 90's shoegazer music (Swervedriver, Lush, Slowdive, MBV, Ride), Brit pop (Depeche Mode, Blur ), classic rock, goth-rock (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy), soul music (Al Green, Marvin Gaye). I still love Madonna.  I love Tori Amos.  I love the Bee Gee's. I am really into music with lots of keyboards and men with deep voices.  I love White Lies, Editors and a band called the Foreign Resort is my new obsession.  I love a lot of bands from France for some reason...Daft Punk, Phoenix, Alcest, Air, Ivy (although I  think they are NY based but orig from France).  I really like the Raveonettes and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and I think my list could go on forever.  Maybe I do look like someone who listens to Maroon 5....I mean I guess I don't really know what someone who listens to them looks like. 

6. Would you ever write a fictional novel? If yes, what kind of novel?

That's a good question.  I don't know.  I suppose I could turn one of my screenplays into a novel or novella.  You know, I don't think I would do a fictional novel.  I don't know if I would be capable.  I like to keep things simple and short and sweet and to the point.  A novel would be long and it is very different than script writing and poetry.  Perhaps if I read more novels, I would be more inclined to write one.

7. You mentioned that you are writing screenplays. What actors would you love to star in something you've written?

I am so proud of my script entitled "Just Jane" and there was an inspiration behind that movie.  His name is Jonah Hill.  I think he is funny and seems sweet and when I wrote the character Ethan, I really had him in mind.  A total long shot for sure and getting Maroon 5 to perform in this movie would be as well.  You never know though.  As far as the other scripts, I really haven't pictured anyone specifically.  I wrote like a chick-flick comedy and I am thinking maybe Drew Barrymore or Anna Kendrick.  For my script "Strangegirl" I flip flop all the time on the male lead.  That script took like 15 years to write and I am still changing it. 15 years ago, I wanted Jimmy Fallon now I picture Matt Berninger who is the singer for the National and dozens of different actors in between (Ryan Gosling...I mean who wouldn't?).  I think I just change to whomever my Man Crush is that week!  But crushes aside, I believe that this one should be made with someone just starting out to make it a true indie film.  I love this one too much as it is something I have envisioned in my head forever and it took forever to write and I am still not 100% satisfied with it...but I know soon I will be comfortable with it and I really believe that it will make a great indie flick.

8. What are some of your favorite films?

Here is another list that could go on forever but I will try to limit it and just list them sans explanation because I think they speak for themselves....Annie Hall, The Exorcist, Some Like it Hot, Casablanca, Lost in Translation, Shopgirl, 500 Days of Summer, Mosquito Coast, It's a Wonderful Life, Blue Velvet, Manhattan, Say Anything, No Country For Old Men, Pulp Fiction, Grease, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Family Stone, Mask, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rocky, Happiness, A Fish Called Wanda, Garden State....

9. The cover artist for My Little Book of Randoms is also your tattoo artist. What tattoos do you have and would you recommend getting one to readers who are vacillating on the idea? (I'm curious about this because I've got a few sentimental tats as well!)

I have two half sleeves that have various things on them. One arm has the cherubs from The Cure's Japanese Whispers album, hearts, diamonds, stars, water & flowers.  The other sleeve has bats, some lettering which is a Cure song called "To Wish Impossible Things," a gramophone, a mirror, a cupcake, dice and cherries, stars and a butterfly.  I also have a piece on time on one of my thighs which consists of an hourglass and a burning candle.  My other thigh is a work in progress which is a dagger and bird skull with a Strangegirl banner.  I have a couple small ones in other places as well.  If people want to get a tattoo, obviously I would say to go for it.  I am glad I waited until I was a little bit older though.  My first tattoo was a spider that I got when I was 16 which has since been covered and another one I desperately want to cover.  I think when you are young, you are anxious and want to be cool and fill your body with a lot of crappy stuff that eventually you end up getting covered up or regretting.  If people want to get tattoos, that's great but really think about what you want and finding a really good tattoo artist is key.  I am lucky that I have a great artist and I love colourful tattoos and mine are definitely bright.  I think his work speaks for himself.  

10. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

Oh dear....
I am very sensitive.  I love the Golden Girls.  I like board games.

Find Joanne Marlowe online via:

Website:  http://www.jomarlowe.net/

Instagram: http://instagram.com/strangegirljo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joanne.marlowe.73

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/strangegirljo/

No comments:

Post a Comment