Sunday, October 11, 2015

BOOK SPOTLIGHT: "Tutor In A Box" by Chris Mason


BIO:
My name is Chris Mason and for the last 20 years I have been a house husband raising three kids with special needs. During this time I received my Bachelors in Psychology and a Master’s in Education. Due to the fact that all my children went to an online charter school, I had to find ways to save money and found many free resources through the internet. In fact I still think it is funny when I first asked my daughter’s teachers for resources that could help her when she first entered the world of online schooling, I only received 3 websites. I thought 3 websites from 6 teachers was a sad state of affairs, so Tutor in a Box was born. That was years ago now. My eldest daughter was in sixth grade then, now she is a sophomore in college.

My other books were born out of two things that happened at the same time. First, my family had to give up cable to save money but my kids still wanted to see the then popular That’s so Raven. Second, my mother came up with Mason Day to teach my kids that they did not need a lot of money to give someone a nice gift. Mason Day was when a person was assigned a family member and had to make them something, spending only 20 dollars. My thought was “Oh my God”. I had no artistic skills like my daughters’ and could not build things like my son, but I did have impressive research skills. So the “In the Box” series of books was born. All are reference guides to the best free stuff in a particular area.

The series currently includes:

  • Tutor in a Box - A guide to free educational resources.
  • Book Store in a Box - A guide to free print and audio books.
  • Arcade in a Box – A guide to free video games.
  • Video store in a Box – A guide to free Television and Movies.
  • Record Store – A guide to free

I am working on two more titles in the series due out Christmas of this 
  • Production Studio in a Box: The Guide to make DVD, CD 
  • Websites and other Media at Low or No Cost
  • Entrepreneur in a Box: The Guide to the best Free Websites to Make Money

BLURB:
Are you one of the 1.5 Million children being educated in an alternative school setting (Virtual School Home School or Independent Study)?
Are you one of the thousands of parents who spends their Saturdays at the local coffee shop with other parents trying to figure out their kid’s homework so you can help? Are you tired of educators telling you there are resources on the internet but not where they are? Would you like to put fun back into your child’s education? If you answered yes to any of the questions then Tutor in the Box is for you. This resource rich book will show you where the best education resources are on the internet, The book is set up like a fictional school day with the following sections: Language
  • So if educational resources are what you’re looking for there is a tutor in the box you call a computer just waiting to help a person in need.
  • Recess (Education games)
  • Social Studies
  • Art and Music
  • Virtual Field Trips
  • Continuing Education (Free how to videos and college lectures)
  • Computer Programs
  • Free Clipart and Sound Effects

No comments:

Post a Comment