Friday, August 5, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: "Harry Potter And The Cursed Child" by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne


Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

I purchased this book from Barnes And Noble Booksellers.

THIS REVIEW IS SPOILER-FREE
So, let me begin by saying that I only read the HP series this year. Yes, at twenty-two years old, I dove headfirst into the Wizarding World and have not looked back since. It's a magical place where I felt a myriad of emotions, discovered deeper things than any YA book I'd ever read showed me, and found new characters to love.
That being said, I was so worried that The Cursed Child would be a huge disappointment. When it takes an author years to bring about new material, there's always the concern of "did she do this for the money" and "will it let me down after the rest of the series was so epic". My questions were answered by the time I was halfway done with The Cursed Child.
First, let me say that, for those who might still be confused, this is the play script. It is not a book. However, if you have never read a play before, this one is a great way to get started. It's formatted very easy for younger, inexperienced eyes to read. As a play lover myself, I was very pleased with how this book was done.
The book focuses on Albus Severus Potter and his new friend, Scorpius Malfoy. Yes, Draco's son, who is rumored to be the son of Voldemort from the past, thanks to a Time-Turner. I like Albus quite a bit, he's a character who is much easier to relate to compared with Harry. And Scorpius is a sassy, smart, nice kid. He's what Draco could have been had Draco not had Lucius as a father. Scorpius is my new favorite HP character after Severus Snape. I do not like Rose Granger-Weasley very much, but I think if this were to go on (more books, hinthint), I'd like her more.
Nearly every character from HP makes an appearance somehow, and all are mentioned except for Dobby for some reason. What surprised me most about this book was how much of it had to do with Cedric Diggory. I liked Cedric, he and Tonks were the only Hufflepuffs I liked in the series, and this story made you see him in an entirely different light.
The story is about time, about opportunity, about parent-child relationships (in a very weird way: there is MUCH more than just Harry and Albus, MUCH more).
I want to give a spoiler SO BADLY. All I can say is act three, scene nine made me have to put the book down and bawl my eyes out. It was utter perfection in every way. It was about the true meaning of heroism and sacrifice; the lasting effects that love leaves on the soul, and about how you can't judge a book by its cover (there is a line from one character that is along the lines of "amazing what comes from inside"). It's touching, and featured another thing I had been hoping would happen and so far have only seen in fanfiction.
Rowling and her two partners created a beautiful, moving, meaningful play about life, death, love, and acceptance. I loved it.

5/5--f**king brilliant!

Buy Harry Potter And The Cursed Child wherever books are sold, and go see the play in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment