Monday, February 13, 2017

Valentine's AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Rue Volley


1. When/why did you decide to become a writer? *

I don't think that I ever did. It chose me. 

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today? *

Oddly enough I'm inspired by movies, comics, and TV series. I do have a few favorite books, but my true inspiration comes from film makers, and comic book writers such as Joss Whedon, Brian Singer, Neil Gaiman, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Stan Lee, Wes Anderson, and Tim Burton...just to name a few. 

3. What was the inspiration behind your latest release? *

It's been eight years since I have written about vampires in a YA/New Adult setting. 13 Ways to Midnight came to me as a dream. The prologue haunted me for about two months before I finally sat down and typed out what would be the beginning of a new series for me. Although the book is an easy read it's filled with complex characters and mystery, which is the basis for every story that I write. I would rather the reader be completely absorbed into the world building as opposed to grabbing a dictionary and trying to figure out what some obscure word means here and there throughout the story line. So I keep it simple, yet balance it with a rich backdrop that entices them to become part of the adventure. 

4. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life? *

Always. I've never written a single character without truth woven into it. I think that's why I've been successful. People can believe that these characters exist, and honestly they do, right here inside of me. 

5. Why do you write in your chosen genre? What other genres would you like to try your hand at? *

The stories that rise up in me dictate what genre I'll be focusing on. Right now I'm focusing on Young Adult Paranormal Romance and Dark Fantasy. One appeals to anyone 12+ and the other is 18+ with a mature rating. My two big series this year will be The Midnight Saga (YA) and Hellhound (MA). Hellhound will re-release in June. That series was originally released in 2014 and has a movie based on the first chapter of book one. I decided to unpublish the three book series and revisit the entire story arc. I released a backstory on one of the main characters (Dorin) last Fall (Tale of the Red Dragon) which allowed me to explore not only a male POV, but it was set in the time of Vlad the Impaler. I hope that anyone interested in the Hellhound series will start with that book so that they will know a little bit about Dorin and where he came from. In May I'll be releasing the second novel in The Midnight Saga, and I plan on releasing the third book in the Fall if my schedule allows it.
6. What would you do if you were your main character? *

I always am. lol
7. Will we ever see these characters again? *

The Midnight Saga will be a multi-book series so yes, these characters will be around for a long time.
8. Would you like to see this book as a film or TV show? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters? *

I write every book as if it's going to film because I'm a screenwriter first and foremost. We're shopping The Midnight Saga now not only with directors, but we're exploring the option of a television series. This story has mass appeal because it's just edgy enough to attract adults and still maintains it's young adult appeal. I think it would be best suited for Netflix or The CW. As far as character roles, I'm not sure yet. This is a new baby for me and I haven't given any thought to who might best personify these characters. But if we're talking directors, I would love to see Tim Burton, Brian Singer, Joss Whedon, or Wes Anderson make it shine. All masters in their field.
9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I think that eventually I'll be working on films and deeply invovled in graphic novels.
10. Is there anything you haven't touched on that you'd like readers to know about your book? *

I would like them to know that if they choose to read it they won't be disappointing.
11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? *

Sleeping more.
12. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next? *

I'm currently working on the second book in The Midnight Saga, 13 Ways to Midnight, Book #2: The Veil. I'm also working on Hellhound (Episode One: Dead is Dead).
13. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with? *

Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, Lewis Carrol, Oscar Wilde.
14. What are three things that may surprise your readers to know about you? *

I'm Wiccan, bi-sexual, and I love staying home. lol
15. Please list your links where readers can find you online and purchase your works. *

No comments:

Post a Comment