Friday, September 8, 2017

The Secret


A secret is a secret for good reason.

Kerry O’Brien has a secret so terrible it burns inside her. All she wants is to be part of a normal family, but with a step father like Bill, that is impossible.

Set in the 1970s when secrets like this were only ever whispered about, Kerry somehow keeps her humour by pretending everything is fine. Then she meets biker Tommy, and he has his own secret; one that impacts on her.
 Kerry’s secret becomes harder to keep and the tell-tell signs are harder to hide. Can she keep it together? Can Tommy and Kerry get it together?

 Then the worst happens and Kerry’s secret is a secret no more.

Universal Link: Mybook.to/TS
Amazon UK – https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Karen-J-Mossman-ebook/dp/B017EYGBPM
Amazon US - https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Karen-J-Mossman-ebook/dp/B017EYGBPM




I panicked to change the subject, and blurted, “You stole that money back and spent it on booze, didn’t you? How do you think we paid for this?”
On reflection, it was probably not the best thing to say.
The gleam in his eye snapped off and Mum and Jodie looked scared.
“Oh? And how did you pay for it?”
He knew, but I didn’t want to make him any angrier.
“Kerry?”
“I bought it,” I said, finally because I couldn’t think of anything else quick enough.
His face turned to thunder. He picked up his plate and threw it at me. “Well you can fucking-well have it then!”
I was so sick of treading on egg shells all the time. Sick of seeing Mum and Jodie constantly wearing frightened expressions. I couldn’t stop myself and sometimes I’m my own worst enemy.
“Go on then, spoil it for everyone, like you normally do,” I retorted.
He lashed out as I ducked. “You’re an ungrateful bitch!”
He then picked up my plate to throw, and stumbled. It teetered on the edge of table before smashing on the floor. More food spread over the kitchen.
I screamed.
He got to his feet as Mum and Jodie scattered. “Didn’t I give you a roof over your head?” he yelled at me.
“Haven’t I been paying for it ever since?” I yelled back.
“Kerry, for God’s sake,” Mum screamed.
Jodie was crying loudly and she couldn’t get out of the door because Bill was standing there and I could see Creepy Colin had come to see what the commotion was.

What the readers are saying:

Karen Mossman’s The Secret is the beautifully written story of high spirited, Irish-born Kerry O'Brien who struggles to walk a tightrope in her dangerous home life. Set in Manchester, England, in the 1970s, a more “innocent” time when family secrets could be even more deadly than today the cloud of secrecy over domestic abuse made it hard for victims to find a way out
Lynne Murray


The story is gripping and interesting, the romance warm and simmering. I absolutely loved the ending, which gives the story an almost fairy tale-like feeling. All in all, it was a very enjoyable two hour read, and I whole heartedly recommend it to fans of the genre.
S Anderson

I really enjoyed this book and I was automatically drawn into the characters world, from the very first page. Tommy treats Kerry like a queen and it's so refreshing to read a story where the man respects and truly loves the girl.
Jenna Hodge

The characters were so real and the story definitely so believable. These sort of secrets unfortunately still go on. Let's hope others can find the strength, just like Kerry to come out the other side.
Lindy-Lou

             


Karen is very active on Social Media and you can link us with her here:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/karenjmossmanauthor/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/KarenJMoss
Google+ - https://plus.google.com/u/0/101513298666906301324
Website - https://magicofstories.net
Book Blog - https://karensbookbuzz.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment