Monday, October 7, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: "Storm Dancer" by Rayne Hall

image



An avid reader since I was a little more than two years of age, I have always enjoyed delving into new books with themes I might not, perhaps, have come across had I read one type of novel over & over.
I had a suggestion on Twitter to check out Rayne Hall, so I did. We conversed, and I am so glad I listened to something on the Internet, haha!

In an old-time land where djinns run amok inside human vessels, forcing then to kill & rape to feed their desires, one of the land's most feared killers, the Black Beseiger, has been summoned to be the lord (satrap) of Koskara...the same place he had terrorized years before. Now, as he tries to silence the djinn inside him, he must save them & end their war.Can he do that without raping or torturing again? And will the stubborn Mansour ALLOW him to do that?

Merida is from the Virtuous Republic of Riverland, a city where they eat no meat, have no sex out of wedlock & treat each other according to their perusal value: the higher the number, the better.Merida is sent to Dahoud's land to work her magic & make it rain so the devastating drought will be over. When she arrives, however, things are not as she was told.The Queens' djinn-possessed Consort, Kirral, won't let her leave once she brings the rain: he wants her as one of his concubines instead.

How will Dahoud & Merida's stories end? Will he save her or will the djinns take over their land?

I will warn readers, this is a very dark novel, with rape, degradation, murder & even animal slaughter. It is not a novel for the faint of heart.That being said, I can also say that it is one of the interesting novels I've read to date!
Djinns are a highly underrated supernatural creature, and it was interesting to read a story about them.The characters are all unique, with individual personalities the reader will love...or love to hate.

It can be taken as a novel on the workings of the Middle East in a previous century, or the reader can dig deeper & they will find a novel about virtues, good, evil & fighting for what's right.

Other people may not see it, but I find it to be inspiring, especially Dahoud trying so hard to be a good person, and not give in to the djinn's demands.
I  see a determined woman in Merida who will not back down or give up to peer pressure or despair.

To sum it up: great story, excellent characters & Rayne Hall has a gift for colorful narration.

5 out of 5--will worth a read!

Purchase Storm Dancer via the following:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment