Sunday, August 24, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: David Chattaway

image



1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

I've always loved telling stories and as long as I can remember I've either kept a diary or popped down my thoughts on paper. I made the decision to start writing a novel back in 2011 and after taking a break for a short period I finished a couple of novellas late last year. I've been working steadily since then and have plenty of ideas and stories planned for the next few years. 

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

To be honest I wasn't a big reader when I was younger, I would read a book if it was given to me or if I had to for school or study. I wasn't really aware of the authors, instead I cared about the characters. I guess I've started to become more inspired by authors since I've started writing more and actually self publishing. I love so many books, I'm blessed to have friends who have always been big readers, so I have quite a large list of classics to work through. If I had to pick a book which really inspired me I would have to say The Scar by China Mieville was that book. I loved everything about it and have read it several times in the past year alone.

3. What was the inspiration behind your novella Blind Servitude?

Blind Servitude is first and foremost a story for my godson Eli (who the title character is named after) I wanted to write something that he could one day enjoy reading and learn something from. The book has a positive message imbedded within it about believing in yourself and finding your own voice. I feel it's a message we can all benefit from hearing at different times in our lives. From that idea the story and characters formed around it. I wanted to create a place which felt claustrophobic and hopeless, a mine, hidden from the sun seemed perfect. The book changed somewhat as I typed it to life, but in a nutshell I wanted Eli's story to be one of courage.

4. What would you do in Eli's situation?

I like to think that I would be as steadfast as Eli was, that I would believe in my heart that there was still hope and persevere, even when the shadow and darkness creeps in. I would be scared, probably more than Eli was, but I like to think fear wouldn't hold me back. 

5. The woman of light is a beautiful figure in the story. Is she a ghost in your mind?

She is the positive life force that exists inside of all of us. I believe she is whatever the reader wishes her to be. ;) For me she was a beacon of hope, the opposing force to the 'Shadow.' In some ways she might be a ghost, the memory of what was good once a long time ago...

6. Children often have imaginary friends to help them get through tough times. Is that how Eli's predicament seems to you?

Children often underestimate their own ability to deal with challenges, instead they fall back onto someone to guide them and comfort them when things seem too hard. I want young readers, my godson, to remember that they are strong and capable. 

7. Will you continue with this story in the future?

Sure! I see Eli's story as only partly told. There's a whole world of adventures and challenges ahead ;)

8. Would you like to see your work on TV or film? If yes, what actors would you like to see play your characters?

I would love to see the story depicted as an animated movie. I hadn't really thought about what actors could voice the various roles. I'll have a think about that though!

9. Can you tell KSR readers what's next in your career?

I have two books planned, both are full length novels and I hope to have both out by April 2015. One is a Dystopian Thriller and the other is a YA Paranormal Fantasy. Both are books I have had planned for years and I'm really excited to finish and get them out there!

10. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I want to write full time, preferably on a beach somewhere. Not because it's a holiday or a weekend, but because it's a Monday and that's just my life now! 

11. What author, dead or alive, would you love to collaborate with?

Neil Gaiman. That is all.

12. Why blindness? Is there symbolism behind it in the story?

There were two reasons why I chose 'Blindness,' the first was that I wanted to create a situation where trusting in someone was more difficult. Eli, a young boy had to convince his father and others to follow him. I wanted to make that decision to follow more significant. Imagine trusting someone enough to lead you blindly! The second reason was more symbolic, I wanted to illustrate the innocence of young people and how over time and the conditions we live in we lose a part of ourselves, that spark which makes us question why things are or aren't a certain way.

13. What do you want readers to take from Blind Servitude?

Enjoyment, and perhaps a smile as they read the last sentence before finishing. 

14. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar but have struggled to find the time to learn. If I didn't have a desire to write I would pursue that. 

15. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

1. I have 5 siblings and 8 nephews and nieces!
2. When I was growing up my family moved over 14 times and I attended 8 schools.
3. I have over 500 comics which I bought as a child. I would use my allowance to buy them and instead of reading them like all my friends, I would slide them out of the brown paper bag and directly into a protective sleeve. All of the comics are still in perfect condition 20 years on.

Find David online via:

Goodreads

Facebook (LIKE page)

Twitter

Amazon

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment