Friday, April 11, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Bill Carson

image



1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

I never set out to become a writer; it just kind of happened and it was through the circumstances of a job that I was doing that actually sent me on the literary path. My first book was published back in 2005.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson. - Robert Bloch, Frederick Forsyth, Mikey Spillane, Arthur C. Clarke to name but a few. I must admit that I do like to live in the past as far as reading is concerned and I revisit the old classics often. The writing style of some of those Victorian writers is simply superb; they were true craftsmen of the written word.

3. What was the inspiration behind Nemesis?

Nemesis is the sequel to my first crime fiction novel Necessary Evils.  The main character John Kane is seeking retribution for the death of his loved ones.
Nemesis is a tale of revenge but that’s an over simplification and there’s much more to it than that. The characters are at first all unknowingly interconnected and as the story unravels and the pieces of the jigsaw start to fall into place they are all drawn together for an exciting climax.  

4. Were any of the characters' looks or personalities based on real people?

Yes but only very loosely, I used nicknames and descriptions, mannerisms of some real people from my past. Writing characters is about observation to a large extent, next time you take the bus look around you; I see arch villains and femme fatales every time I board the train. There’s an abundance of material out there you’ve just got to tune into it.

5. Will we ever see another story featuring some of the characters in Nemesis?

Yes this is a series and the character of Nick Harland (private detective) and his exploits will continue to drive the forthcoming books. I am currently 52,000 words into Never Say Die which will be the third in the series.

6. Why did you set the book in England? Is it an area you're familiar with?

England is where I live and London is a place that I know and love and for me is full of inspiration.

7. Can you tell the readers a little bit about your other works?

A few years ago I wrote a fitness book and a self-defence/martial arts manual they were projects that I wanted to get out of my system so to speak and I had great fun in writing them.  My first book was an autobiographical account of my life as a night club bouncer (I used to be a tough guy) the book is called Show No Fear which in fact will be updated soon in a (redux) version of the original which I believe is still out there in print. It’s pretty hard to find now though. But after the new version of Show No Fear is completed I will be solely concentrating on my crime noir novels.

8. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I have made a commitment to writing and I can only see myself going forward with my writing. I love creating these dangerous characters and stories, however the biggest joy for any writer is the reaction from your readers.

9. Do you want/have plans to write a novel of a different genre? Why?

No, not right now anyway. I will continue to concentrate on writing crime fiction.

10. What is it about the concept of revenge that you think, personally, is so exciting to both read and write about?

Society and the law often fail the law abiding decent citizen. The good guys seem to get screwed and the bad guys get away with wrong doing.  In Necessary Evils it shows what a good person can do when he is sufficiently enraged. This will be a cold calculated rage. It’s about the celebration of the power of one. Good people doing bad things for good reasons.




This was taken from a review by George Gutowski on Necessary Evils, I couldn’t have put it better myself.

11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

I am a creative person by nature and so I would be doing something creative no doubt.

12. Would you like to see a film made of Nemesis or one of your other works?

Yes it would be nice to see your characters come to life on screen but film adaptations can be worlds apart from the book sometimes. But yes going back to your original question I think that the first two crime novels linked together would make a cracking little film.

13. Are gangsters/mercenaries major interests of yours? Who are your favorite legendary killers?

I think it all started in the sixties for me, when I was a kid every Friday night when everyone was asleep I’d sneak downstairs switch on the TV with the volume down low and watch the original factual based Untouchables gangster series. I would sit there secretly in the dark right in front of the screen listening to Walter Winchell’s fantastic narration. I wasn’t just watching the programme I was in there with them!

14. On your site you write about how to create a "page turner". What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Read as much as you can; I read all the time it’s one of the most important tools in a writer’s tool box. It also gives you a break from writing as you can become totally overwhelmed with what you are writing sometimes. For indie authors it is extremely important to put out credible work, your work must be proofread and edited by professionals. Details of my editor and proof-reader are on the web site.

15. Thank you for participating in the interview! Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

I am a fine art pencil artist, an amateur astronomer and a self defence expert.

Find Bill Carson online via:

Official site

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment