Friday, December 12, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Joe Walker

1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

In my teen years I was always impressed by books, films and series and I remember even then wanting to read and see so much that I would inspired enough to one day add my own work to the genres I love.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

J. R. R. Tolkien and J.K Rowling. Benard Cornwell and David Gemmell. Conn Iggulden and R. A. Salvatore. Eric Nylund and George R. R. Martin. Today I'm enjoying the works of many indie authors as well as A Song of Ice and Fire

3. What was the inspiration behind your novel Blood Bonds?

A long list of many works have led to a love of fantasy and a need to add something to the magical genre. The two most predominant authors who inspired my work have to be J. R. R. Tolkien and George R. R. Martin. Many themes in fantasy are shared and although there are some who criticise this fact the majority of people appreciate it and understand that the underlying themes are invincible and should be harboured and expressed in as many ways as possible by as many authors as possible.

4. How many books will the series span?

The Thundous Saga will be comprised of two trilogies, Ethriel and Nariel.

5. Why elves and orcs instead of vampires and werewolves?

I absolutely love vampires and werewolves, especially where Darren Shan is involved. But it is my preference and always has been that I prefer elves and orcs. That said, why not merge the two? Forgotten realms proved it works every time.

6. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life?

I believe that all characters and all emotions in all books will only add to an author's success if they are based on real life experiences, otherwise they will be unbelievable and difficult to develop.

7. What other genres would you like to try your hand at?

Sci-fi and horror... maybe a sci-fi/horror.

8. What would you do if you were one of your characters in the book? Van or the princess, for instance?

If I was a character in my books I would trust in my friends. The sense of unity with the four main characters is unshakable and they should hold on to that at all costs.

9. You are an English teacher in China. What made you decide to duo that as a career and has it been influential to your writing career at all?

I'm a big fan of creation and I think it is a teacher's duty to emphasise the need to create to children everywhere. If I preached that belief without being creative myself I'd be a hypocrite.

10. Would you like to see Blood Bonds as a film? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters?

I would want Blood Bonds to be a film and I would want new and undiscovered actors to play the roles as I totally believe that everyone deserves a chance in life and if Blood Bonds were to hit the big screens I'd want that to be theirs.

11. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I try not to speculate where I will be and where I hope to be as they can fundamentally disagree at the best of times, but for honesty's sake I'd like to be comfortably settled as a full-time writer (cough cough).

12. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

Perhaps I'd spend the time learning an instrument or drawing.

13. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next?

The next stop is the final instalment of Ethriel - Freedom. Then it will be onto Nariel.

14. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with?

I'd like to make a sci-fi with Tolkien - he could create worlds and I would go live on them.

15. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

Thank you for having me; it's been a pleasure :) A lot of people tell me that I'm young at 22 to have two books up for sale and a third one well on the way. I want to learn Latin, Elfish and Dwarfish... oh and Orcish. I wish I had been born in Roman times.

Follow Joe Walker on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment