Wednesday, September 14, 2016

(UPDATED) COMIC BOOK REVIEW: "Doom Patrol #1" by Gerard Way and Nick Derington

The atoms are buzzing. The daydreams crowd sentient streets, and the creative team has been warned, “Turn back now or suffer the mighty consequence of sheer, psycho-maniacal mayhem.” Generation-arsonists unite—this is DOOM PATROL, and the God of the Super Heroes is bleeding on the floor.
A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.
“It gets weirder from here,” writer Gerard Way had to say about the book, with artist Nick Derington gripping tightly on the wheel of the ambulance. The pair’s only communication? Shouting out of the open windows while at high velocity. Who needs a new roommate? Who names a cat “Lotion”? And when do we get to see all those muscles?
Find your answers inside the pages of this comic book, as we set the stage for new beginnings, as well as the re-introduction of some classic DOOM PATROL characters, including Niles Caulder, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo, and Crazy Jane.
The debut title of DC’s Young Animal line kicks off with a removable sticker on its cover: Pull back the gyro to reveal its secrets, but be warned—there is no turning back.

I purchased this comic book at Golden Apple Comics for my own enjoyment.

For those of you who haven't read my previous comic book reviews, I am a DC nut. I really love their whole franchise, and the commencement of their new Young Animal line has me thrilled. In addition to my loving the Doom Patrol, I am also a huge fan of Gerard Way. Yes, I love him as a musician, but I love him even more as a comic book artist.
Every title he creates, he leaves a distinctive imprint on the dialogue. You know you're reading a Gerard Way comic because his voice is bright and unique. I admit, I was wary of him taking on a title I loved so much growing up and he did make some changes, that's certain. But the changes are, as far as I can tell after only twenty-two pages, going to be brilliant.
I love, love, love Casey Brinke. She's bright, bubbly, and seems to have a heart of gold and a really cute cat. I can't wait to see what her role is with the new DP team.
We get an enigmatic page with Niles Caulder which left me puzzled, and we also see Cliff Steele in this issue, but the way we see him is a bit odd. The way the two classic DP characters are depicted makes me wonder exactly what will happen in issue two.
Deringer's art is bright, open, and very pleasing to the eye. He really helps set the tone for the story Way is trying to tell. I think these two gentlemen are going to make the DC fandom very happy indeed.
A side note: for fans who have not read the original DP series, you don't need to in order to enjoy this comic.

5/5--a brilliant start!

Purchase Doom Patrol #1!


****

UPDATE:

Today (the fifteenth, the day after the book's release), I attended the signing with Gerard at Golden Apple Comics in Los Angeles. It was my second signing at the store, and let me say it was run perfectly. No snags, nada. The staff is very nice and professional, and everything ran like clockwork. If you live in or are visiting SoCal, definitely give GAC a visit! They have a ton of old comics at great prices as well as collectibles and frequent celebrity signings.
I have met Gerard numerous times, both at concerts and for his comics. Each time, I am astounded by how genuinely sweet he is. There is no rock star persona, no attitude because of his success in the comic book industry. He is just a sweetheart.
Below are some photos from tonight. For more comic book fun from KSR, stay tuned this weekend as I attend Long Beach Comic Con!




No comments:

Post a Comment