Wednesday, April 12, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Barbara Winkes


1. When/why did you decide to become a writer? *

I have always loved writing and with short stories as a child, then moved on to longer works as a teenager. I got serious about publishing about six years ago.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today? *

I've been drawn to books that had girls, later, women at the center - even better when there are more than one or two. I read various genres, but I love crime fiction like James Patterson's Women's Murder Club and Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli & Isles.
3. What was the inspiration behind your latest release? *

Initiations is #5 in the Carpenter/Harding thriller series. Ellie and Jordan are investigating a misogynistic cult. Unfortunately, the idea that women and men should act within narrowly defined roles persists around the globe, so there's no shortage of inspiration. Sometimes it's closer to home than you think. I have also written utopian fiction that tackles the problem (Rise) - here it's wrapped within a police procedural.
4. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life? *

Not specifically, no. The origin of a character, for me, can be the line of a song or a random thought, and I go from there.
5. Why do you write in your chosen genre? What other genres would you like to try your hand at? *

Most of my books are romance and suspense with lesbian main characters. I write them because I believe representation counts. The more variety we provide, the more complete the picture becomes. I have also written urban fantasy, dystopian, erotic romance and a political novel (the latter three are to be released next year). The Carpenter/Harding series will continue, so at the moment, my plate is pretty full. I might want to try a YA novel at some point.
6. What would you do if you were your main character? *

I'd be planning my wedding while solving tough cases! As it is, I am already married, and I work safely from behind my desk. I got it much better.
7. Will we ever see these characters again? *

Definitely. The next books are outlined until 2020 (I usually release two a year in this series).
8. Would you like to see this book as a film or TV show? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters? *

I'd love to. There are and have been great crime dramas with one or two women main characters, but not with a lesbian couple - so this would be something new. As for the cast, I'd like to leave it up to the reader to imagine...
9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

With hopefully many more books out - possibly a new series. Generally, I hope readers continue to enjoy my books. And that TV show you mentioned above would be a dream!
10. Is there anything you haven't touched on that you'd like readers to know about your book? *

If you like suspense with serial characters, please check it out. The series is also available for Kindle Unlimited subscribers - the first book is Indiscretions.
11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? *

I'd probably still be working as a psychologist.
12. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next? *

Another Carpenter/Harding book. However, the next release after Initiations will be a standalone novel called The Amnesia Project. It starts with a group of friends who travel to NYC. Paige disappears, and Dani dedicates her life to finding out what happened to her.
13. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with? *

Authors like James Patterson, Tess Gerritsen and Karin Slaughter. That would be quite the thrill. ;)
14. What are three things that may surprise your readers to know about you? *

#1 I really don't like my voice on tape - so I love interviews like this! Ellie and Jordan first came to me while watching a reno show with a creepy basement (#2 I am watching a lot of those, and sometimes, they give me ideas). #3 I own a pair of shoes once worn by a famous actress in a movie.
15. Please list your links where readers can find you online and purchase your works. *

My website: barbarawinkes.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment