Thursday, February 19, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: "October Harvest" by Douglas Draa

(Story is currently being serialized in Schlock Magazine; link will be below.)

Horror author Douglas Draa scared us to death with his story in Wishful Thinking, and he's here to do it again with October Harvest, the story of delinquents who try to rob the rich pumpkin farmer in their town and get much more than they bargained for.
The story isn't just a frightening ride with evil scarecrows, a crazy farmer and stupid victims. There's a small moral in here, too, in what happens with the kids who trespass on the farm, and I love that. Few horror authors bother to write anything into their stories that isn't just there to give the readers nightmares.
Some parts of the story were absolutely disgusting, I'll admit it. I actually cringed at one point, which I thank Mr. Draa for. Rarely do I get scared or squeamish anymore.
I can't say much else about October Harvest, because it's a short story, and I don't want to give anything away. But I will say that I loved reading this, and I think everyone should become a fan of Douglas Draa now, before he blows up in the horror scene! (By the by, this only gets a four instead of a five only because I don't think it's a story anyone could read. You do need to like horror already to enjoy October Harvest: this is not a good introduction to the genre.)

4/5--gave me chills!

Purchase Schlock Magazine on Amazon to read October Harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment