Monday, February 13, 2017

Valentine's AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Victoria Kinnaird


1. When/why did you decide to become a writer? *

I don't remember really making a conscious decision, but I started writing little short stories when I was really young. I finished my first novel in my early to mid teens. The first time I really decided to have a go at writing as a career was when I applied to university to study Journalism and Creative Writing!

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today? *

When I was young, my inspiration came from a really wide range of authors - from J K Rowling and J R R Tolkien through to Anne Rice and J D Salinger. I loved Goosebumps and Point Horror, then Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I discovered The Vampire Chronicles and Catcher in the Rye at roughly the same time and they both had a massive impact on me despite being very different! I sadly don't have much time to read these days, but I try to set some time aside for Joe Hill, Neil Gaiman, the wonderful Rue Volley and Cassandra Clare. 

3. What was the inspiration behind your latest release? *

Well I guess that depends which release I'd class as my latest! In terms of release date, The Red Sun Rises Boxset is my latest release. It's a three novel boxset that chronicles the life/death/rebirth of a teenage vampire called Eren Anderson. I wanted to write about vampires because I was obsessed wit he Anne Rice and Buffy the Vampire Slayer when I was growing up, so I've always loved vampires. When Eren randomly announced that he was bisexual, when I was still sketching out the character, the series sort of politicised itself - so it wasn't just about the massive changes we undergo as we grow up, it took an angle of young gay kid VS a religious society that doesn't approve of who he is, how he behaves and the person he falls in love with. The inspiration for that sadly comes from real life, from watching my LGBT friends struggle. "Fake It" is my most recent release that is purely original content - and it's a bit lighter, I swear! "Fake It" is very much based on my personal experience growing up. I was devoted to my favourite bands and the music scene they were a part of. I'd go to shows, stand in front of the stage, blinded by the lights and singing along to every word and my heart would just be full. I knew, way back then, that having moments like that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That's very much what "Fake It" is based on - how a deep love of music can change your life, how it can make you braver, how it can create lasting friendships and how it can even save your life. So as much as "Fake It" is a love story between Jack and JJ, it's also my love letter to rock'n'roll.
4. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life? *

There are some characters in my books who are based on real people - Jessica from "Fake It" is based on my kickass friend, Jessica Rose. Andy and Rayner from "The Red Sun Rises" are also based on real people! I have a lot of fun writing my friends into my books, it's a way of thanking them for their support.
5. Why do you write in your chosen genre? What other genres would you like to try your hand at? *

Well, luckily I've been able to make a bit of a jump so I don't write just one genre - "The Red Sun Rises" is LGBT YA paranormal, and "Fake It" is LGBT YA contemporary romance. I'm branching out into the superhero genre soon, which will be really fun and a dream come true for me! I think three different genres might be my limit though! The one thing that ties all my books together is that they have main characters who identify as LGBT. I think that's something that will continue for the rest of my career. I'm passionate about the LGBT community. When I was growing up, I could open a book and find myself but my friends who identified as gay or bisexual really struggled to find books that could do that for them. I want to make sure LGBT kids know that they're not alone, that they can fall in love and pursue their dreams and be happy. That's why I write LGBT characters, to hopefully help in some small way.
6. What would you do if you were your main character? *

If I was JJ or Jack, I'd just hang out with their band, Forever Fading Echoes - they're hilarious and a ton of fun. If I was Eren, I'd just raid Corbijn's wardrobe!
7. Will we ever see these characters again? *

Absolutely! Eren, Corbijn and The Red Sun Rises characters will be back for another three novel arc starting with "The Red Sun Rises: Shadow Killer". JJ and Jack will be back really soon in their follow up novel, "Take It".
8. Would you like to see this book as a film or TV show? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters? *

I would love to see The Red Sun Rises as a Netflix or Amazon Original series. I think those books are better suited to television! Fake It would make a fun film though, I think/hope! But my readers could probably cast the characters way better than I can - whenever I think about it, I just draw a blank!
9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

Well, I know I will still be writing. Hopefully with some of my work adapted for cinema/TV!
10. Is there anything you haven't touched on that you'd like readers to know about your book? *

Nope, these questions have been great :)
11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? *

Probably music journalism! It was my chosen career before I started taking novel writing seriously and I do miss it.
12. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next? *

Next up will be "Take It", the "Fake It" sequel. From there I'll be moving on to "Struck", the first book in my YA Superhero series, and then back to All Hallows for "The Red Sun Rises: Shadow Killer".
13. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with? *

I'd love to work with Anne Rice! And if Joss Whedon wants to adapt any of my books, he's more than welcome!
14. What are three things that may surprise your readers to know about you? *

The first band I ever loved was Hanson. My little sister is the one who keeps me organised and focused - if you see me at a signing, that's because she's been working for ages to get me there! Oh and I have really big feet.
15. Please list your links where readers can find you online and purchase your works. *

Facebook: www.facebook.com/victoriakinnairdofficial
Official website: www.victoriakinnaird.com
The Red Sun Rises boxset: www.smarturl.it/rsrboxset

No comments:

Post a Comment